10 Podcasts to Take on Your Road Trip
Memorial Day Weekend offers you the ideal chance to hit the road. But who will be your companion as you stare down those long stretches of pavement in front of you?
Whether it’s innovative talks from some of the foremost minds in their fields, tips for how to create the perfect dish, or trivia questions that will prep you for when you land that spot on Jeopardy, these ten podcasts will make sure you have fun learning along the way — and help you stay alert!
- This American Life Combining documentary journalism with other kinds of storytelling, Ira and his staff serve up narrative epics that pinpoint the unusual and poetic in the everyday.
- America’s Test Kitchen Their mission is simple: to develop the absolute best recipes for all of your favorite foods. They test, test again, then test some more, until they arrive at the combination for the best, most-foolproof recipe. And then, dear listener, they share their findings with you.
- The Treatment Film critic Elvis Mitchell interviews some of the most influential and innovative forces creating movies and popular art and entertainment. Each episode you’ll hear Elvis with an amazing array of guests, discussing everything from their inner conflicts to their interior design.
- TED Radio Hour The TED Radio Hour is a journey through fascinating ideas: astonishing inventions, fresh approaches to old problems, new ways to think and create. Each show is centered on a common theme - such as the source of happiness, crowd-sourcing innovation, power shifts, or inexplicable connections.
- Travel with Rick Steves In his debut radio program, Rick Steves shares his vast travel information, experience and inspiration. The hour-long program is filled with interviews, listener call-ins, and audio fun all to do with fabulous destinations that you’ll be dying to book a ticket to after listening.
- Good Job, Brain! Part pub quiz show, part offbeat news, and all awesome. These folks are nuts about trivia. If you relish beating your friends at Trivial Pursuit, then this podcast, fellow trivia nut, is the ultimate mental nutrition for your very big brain. So eat up!
- The Splendid Table The Splendid Table is a culinary, culture, and lifestyle one-hour program that celebrates food and its ability to touch the lives and feed the souls of everyone. Each episode features discussions with a variety of writers and personalities who share their passion for the culinary delights.
- Freakonomics Radio Freakonomics Radio explores “the hidden side of everything.” It will tell you things you always thought you knew but didn’t, and things you never thought you wanted to know, but now do.
- Death, Sex and Money Host Anna Sale talks to celebrities you’ve heard of—and regular people you haven’t—about the Big Stuff: relationships, money, family, work and making it all count while we’re here.
- The Diane Rehm Show Diane’s daily show offers listeners thoughtful and lively conversations on an array of trending news topics with many of the most distinguished people of our times.